Stewed Whole Fish
Catch of the Day!
- Dust the tilapia on both sides lightly with the wheat flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan until it begins to shimmer and then sear the tilapia on both sides till they develop a nice golden brown crust.
- In the same oil add your onions and fry till they turn translucent and then add the ginger and garlic. Cook for just a minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for about a minute to get rid of the raw taste.
- Slit the green chillies lengthwise and add them to the saucepan. You can cut them up into small pieces if you want to have more heat.
- Add the garam masala at this point and cook off the entire mixture until the oil separates from the tomato paste.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and then add them to the saucepan together with enough salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for a few minutes for the tomatoes to soften and break down.
- Add enough water to make a thick stew and then cover and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Taste for seasoning and if too tart add honey to cut through the tartness.
- Scoop out half the stew before placing the tilapia in the saucepan.
- Pour the stew that you scooped out over the top of the tilapia and make sure to spread it evenly to cover the fish.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 25-30 minutes for the tilapia to fully cook and for the stew to thicken further.
- Sprinkle all the bell peppers and spring onions on top of the tilapia and cover to simmer for a few minutes until just softened but still crunchy.
- Finally, add the dhania and turn off the heat.
- Serve and garnish with more coloured bell peppers and lemon wedges.